SubjectRe: Adaptec AIC7XXX v 6.0.6 BETA Released

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> > Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 20:56:08 -0700
> > From: "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
> >
> > None-the-less, it seems to me that spamming the kernel namespace
> > with "current" in at least the way that the 2.2 kernels do (does
> > this occur in later kernels?) should be corrected.
> >
> >Justin, "current" is a pointer to the current thread executing on the
> >current processor under Linux. It has existed since day one of the
> >Linux kernel and probably will exist till the end of it's life.
> >
> >I'm sure the BSD kernel has some similar bogosity :-)
>
> BSD has curproc, but that is considerably less likely to be
> used in "inoccent code" than "current". I mean, "current what?".
> It could be anything, current privledges, current process, current
> thread, the current time...

"buf, buffers, type, version" (of what ?) with FreeBSD kernel (if they
still exist), but they are global variables, not macros.

By the way, SYM-2, that is "FreeBSD sym back to Linux but still in
FreeBSD":), clashed on Linux "current" as well. Reason is that the
corresponding code was based on yours :) (as indicated in the sym driver
source). I have changed "current" by "curr". This is as clear and has the
advantage of scaling better with "user" and "goal" (4 characters each).

tinfo.goal
tinfo.user
tinfo.curr

Just a suggestion.

Gérard.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.105 / U:0.556 seconds]