SubjectRe: via82cxxx_audio - bad latency
Paul Jakma wrote:

> hi,
>
> i think somethings gone wrong with via82cxxx_audio. Playing anything
> through it seems to cause massive latency in apps like xmms, esd,
> asmixer, etc.. anything to do with playing or mixer levels suddenly
> takes a minute or more to respond.
>
> It didn't always do this, and when it started happening i assumed it
> was either something bad in esd or xmms (which i tend to upgrade a
> lot). However it still happens when esd is disabled. eg, i use mpg123
> to play an mp3 file, and asmixer doesn't change the volume till a
> minute or two after i moused it.
>
> if i SIGSTOP mpg123, asmixer immediately becomes responsive again and
> implements the pending volume change, as soon i SIGCONT mpg123,
> asmixer becomes very unresponsive again.
>
> same thing with esd, if i STOP mpg123, other apps like esd and
> non-esd mixers become responsive, soon as i start playing again they
> go unresponsive.
>
> same thing with playing from esd applications, everything inlcuding
> the playing app itself (eg xmms) is unresponsive, if i STOP it, the
> mixers instantly become responsive, soon as i CONT the playing app
> everything is "dead" again.
>
> kernel is test12-final. AMD K7, Asus K7M board
>
> [root@fogarty /root]# lspci -vv -s 00:04.5
> 00:04.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686
> [Apollo Super AC97/Audio] (rev 21)
> Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 800d
> Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
> ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
>
>> TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
>
> Interrupt: pin C routed to IRQ 10
> Region 0: I/O ports at d400 [size=256]
> Region 1: I/O ports at d000 [size=4]
> Region 2: I/O ports at cc00 [size=4]
> Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2
> Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
> PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
>
> [root@fogarty /root]# cat /proc/interrupts
> CPU0
> 0: 1064556 XT-PIC timer
> 1: 18405 XT-PIC keyboard
> 2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
> 3: 904332 XT-PIC eth0
> 8: 1 XT-PIC rtc
> 10: 75896 XT-PIC BusLogic BT-958, via82cxxx
> 12: 278174 XT-PIC PS/2 Mouse
> 14: 3258 XT-PIC ide0
> 15: 387918 XT-PIC ide1
> NMI: 0
> ERR: 0
>
> the via is sharing an interrupt, though normally the buslogic is not
> being used. (the interrupt sharing has been there a lot longer than
> this problem)
>
> i don't have the /proc/driver/via.... files that the docs mention.
>
> regards,

Oh my, I am SO glad someone else noticed this! I was not going to say
anything because I thought _I_ was crazy. I burnt out my CPU yesterday
in a nasty experiment (don't ask!) and had to go out and buy a new
MB/CPU. I bought the ASUS CUV4X with sound. Lo and behold it has the
VIA VT82C686A audio. I get my new system running just great, load this
driver, then go do my favorite pastime: Frag in Unreal Tournament for
Linux! Man was the sound delayed! I tried 4 Front's driver too with
the same results which made me think that this setup really sucked!

I am all set to put a Creative 128 in the system and I stumbled onto
this message. :-)
Johnny O

--
<SomeLamer> what's the difference between chattr and chmod?
<SomeGuru> SomeLamer: man chattr > 1; man chmod > 2; diff -u 1 2 | less