lkml.org 
[lkml]   [2000]   [Dec]   [13]   [last100]   RSS Feed
Views: [wrap][no wrap]   [headers]  [forward] 
 
Messages in this thread
/
Date
From
SubjectRe: ANNOUNCE: Linux Kernel ORB: kORBit

> > Err shame on you, don't forget about lcall and exceptions, and interrupts,
> > and... That is technically more than _o_n_e_ "entry point". :) Oh wait,
> > what about sysenter/exit too? :)
> OK, you got me on lcall (however, that's iBCS-only, IIRC), but the rest...
> what the hell does userland to interrupts? <thinks> OK, make it 2 - pagefault
> can be arguably used in that way.

The reason that I considered exceptions and interrupts is that often,
exceptions get reflected as signals to the running processes (SIGSEGV,
SIGFPE, SIGILL, others?), and interrupts can wake up processes (from
sys_poll among others). I was considering more of the user->kernel and
kernel->user transitions... anyways, that's really besides the point. :)

> > this wonderful design we get all kinds of stuff like sys_oldumount vs
> > sys_umount and others...
> Check how often anything uses the majority of that stuff...

Correct, it's for backwards compatibility with old programs (for example
libc5 uses a lot of those "old" syscalls).

> > > Yes, standard RPC mechanism would be nice. No, CORBA is not a good
> candidate - > > too baroque and actually known to lead to extremely
> tasteless APIs being > > implemented over it. Yes, I mean GNOME. So

> Check 9P and compare. Really. Section 5 of Plan 9 manpages. Available on
> plan-9.bell-labs.com/sys/man/

That's fine. Since the server is down (or the URL is bad), can you please
give me an example of how 9P is better than CORBA? I freely admit to not
knowing much about 9P... how much do you know about CORBA (aside from
your opinion that GNOME uses it, and therefore it is bad. ;)?

> > without breaking backwards compatibility). Please don't tell me that OOP
> > is bad... or else we will have the eviscerate the VFS layer from the
> > kernel (amount other subsystems)... :)

> OOP is a nice tool. However, it's a tool that has incredible potential of
> shooting one's foot. It's wonderful if you have sane set of methods. And
> that's a _big_ if. "Easily extensible" is not an absolutely good thing -
> C++ wankers all over the world are busily proving it every day. Heck, they
> make a living out of that. IOW, the problem with interface changes is _not_
> in converting the old code. It's in choosing the right changes. And that
> part of the game can't be simplified.

Oif. That's like telling someone that C is evil because it has for loops,
and for loops can be used to write nasty code. "just write in
assembler" he says. :) I would claim that someone could write a bad
program (or shoot themselves in the foot) with any turing complete
language. C++ definately give you more rope to do that with, but used
wisely, it can also be nice. The trick is to just not have to work with
other peoples C++ code. :) Hey, did I mention that kORBit and all its
extensions are written in C? :)

> > Like I mentioned in a previous email, CORBA does not preclude 9P. What
> > it does buy you though, is compatibility with LOTS of preexisting CORBA
> > tools. How much development infrastructure is there for 9P? I thought
> > so. :)

> All UNIX userland on the client side. lib9p on the server side (23Kb of sparse
> C). Examples of use in servers - see the aforementioned site.

Err... yeah, so you're effectively mapping UNIX/POSIX across 9P. That's
not very creative, and you could do the same thing with CORBA. I ask
again, "How much development infrastructure is there for 9P?". If you say
"just use unix", then what is the point of 9P at all? (on linux). Linux
already has most of posix (and some would claim all of the "good
stuff" in posix.).

> > For one of our demos, we ran a file server on a remote linux box (that we
> > just had a user account on), mounted it on a kORBit'ized box, and ran
> > programs on SPARC Solaris that accessed the kORBit'ized linux box's file
> > syscalls. If nothing else, it's pretty nifty what you can do in little
> > code...
> Duh. And what's new about that?

The "new" part is that our servers were < 100 lines of code each. Compare
that to kNFS. :)

-Chris

http://www.nondot.org/~sabre/os/
http://www.nondot.org/MagicStats/
http://korbit.sourceforge.net/

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

\
 
 \ /
  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.117 / U:9.536 seconds]
©2003-2020 Jasper Spaans|hosted at Digital Ocean and TransIP|Read the blog|Advertise on this site