SubjectRe: how to capture long oops w/o having second machine
On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 09:34:30AM -0500, Mohammad A. Haque wrote:
> Someone gave me a really awesome idea about possibly using a palm pilot
> to capture the oops. Anyone know if it will be a problem using
> /dev/ttyUSB0 as the serial port?
> Baiscally if I want to duplicate the environment in which I'm getting
> the oops, I need to be dialed out. That takes out COM1. I never gt my
> COM2 to work (can't figure out what's wrong. doesn't work under windows
> either). So that's out. I have a Keyspan USB PDA adapter that I use for
> my Palm Vx which shows up as /dev/ttyUSB0.
> I guess if usb serial can't be used I'll try duplicating the oops w/o
> being dialed out.

I don't know if /dev/ttyUSBX would work, but I think it would. People
have successfully run consoles through the usb-serial drivers, but I'm
not sure if the oops main console requires something different (like
registering itself actually as a console?)

And then there's the nice problem of the fact that if the oops comes
from the USB code, you will not see it come out the usb-serial driver :)

Let me know if you try this, and have any success (or find that it
doesn't work.)

greg k-h