SubjectRe: hotplug mopup
> > - I don't think we can say that the kernel hotplug interface is
> > complete until we have real, working, tested userspace tools. David,
> > could you please summarise the state of play here? In particular,
> > what still needs to be done?
>
> Well, for USB I would like to know which device major/minor entry a newly
> plugged device is associated with.
>
> Like if I insert a new USB camera, I want to easy find out it is char 81.1
> (/dev/video1). Or if I plugin a USB storage device I want to easy find out
> it is /dev/sda now.

How might that relate to devfs integration? It addresses similar
problems, and devfsd can call to userspace when such drivers (ones
that show up through major/minor device nodes) appear. True, some
folk who want to hotplug might want to not run devfs.

- Dave

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:22    [W:0.023 / U:1.060 seconds]