    SubjectRe: UP 2.2.18 makes kernels 3% faster than UP 2.4.0-test12
     Steven Cole <> writes:

    > In each case, the task and the tools used are the same. The only
    > difference was the kernel used. In both cases, 2.2.18 won by 3%.
    > Its comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges. Granted 3%
    > isn't very much, but I would have guessed that 2.4.0 would have been
    > the winner. It wasn't, at least for this single processor machine.

    Two points: (1) gcc 2.95 makes slightly slower code than egcs-1.1
    (according to benchmarks on so compile 2.4 kernel with
    egcs for a fairer comparison. (2) The new VM was a performance
    regression for throughput.

    I think that it is important that the extent of the indisputable
    performance decreases be quantified and traced. For me there was a
    subjective performance peak around 2.3.48 IIRC, though it might have
    been before. Andrea Archangeli has a VM patch that seems to
    help in some cases.

    It would be interesting to run a series of (automated) tests on a lot
    of kernel versions, and to see how far performance is behind FreeBSD
    (or even NetBSD).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.019 / U:5.512 seconds]