    Date (Rik van Riel) writes:
    > On Mon, 11 Dec 2000 wrote:
    > [snip whine]
    > > I've consistently re-produced this on my Dell Latitude CS laptop. I'm
    > > wondering if this will reduce battery life since the CPU is constantly
    > > being loaded instead of properly idled.
    > What do you suppose the 'idled' in 'kapm-idled' stands for?

    We know it was an attempt to stop people complaining about the fact that
    "kapm" was hogging the CPU. Looks like it doesn't work.

    At the time, I had a look at the kernel source, and came to the conclusion
    that there was no easy way for the cpu accounting in "do_process_times()"
    to automatically assign ticks from a particular process to the idle

    However, would it be possible for apm_cpu_idle() to periodically assign
    the values for per_cpu_*time for the kernel thread to the idle process?
    This isn't a performance critical part of the kernel, and would lead to
    less false reports (as above).

    `O O' |
    // ^ \\ |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.019 / U:0.832 seconds]