SubjectRe: hotplug mopup
From
In article <3A3377B3.FDCBE4AD@uow.edu.au> you wrote:

> A compendium of questions and misc stuff concerning hotplug:

> - Is everyone happy with call_usermodehelper() being asynchronous? It
> _could_ be given a `synchronous' option, but that's a fair bit of
> obfuscation and it does expose us to deadlocks if the caller has any
> semaphores held.

I am happy.

> - On the unregister/removal path, the netdevice layer ensures that
> the interface is removed from the kernel namespace prior to launching
> `/sbin/hotplug net unregister eth0'.

> This means that when handling netdevice unregistration
> /sbin/hotplug cannot and must not attempt to do anything with eth0!
> Generally it'll fail to find an interface with this name. If it does
> find eth0, it'll be the wrong one due to a race.

I always thought I should have to do "/sbin/ifdown eth0" here.
(Just as I do /sbin/ifup eth0 on register.)

> - I don't think we can say that the kernel hotplug interface is
> complete until we have real, working, tested userspace tools. David,
> could you please summarise the state of play here? In particular,
> what still needs to be done?

Well, for USB I would like to know which device major/minor entry a newly
plugged device is associated with.

Like if I insert a new USB camera, I want to easy find out it is char 81.1
(/dev/video1). Or if I plugin a USB storage device I want to easy find out
it is /dev/sda now.

This is currently very hard to do and it would be really nice to have
a solution for this.

Ciao, Marcus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.062 / U:0.888 seconds]