SubjectRe: [bug] usb-uhci locks up on boot half the time
Greg KH wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 08:19:13PM -0800, David Ford wrote:
> > I am going thru the steps atm. The JE driver also hangs.
>
> Thanks for doing this.

np.

> > More information. I have an external USB 4 port hub, in which I have one
> > logitech mouse at the moment. I can cold boot and reboot to my heart's
> > delight fine. But if I unplug/plug in the mouse and reboot, it will hang.
> > Note, I have to unplug and plug back in the mouse to get it recognized by
> > the system before I can use it.
>
> Is the external hub a externally powered hub, or self powered hub (does
> it get it's power from a plug in the wall, or from the USB bus)? Self
> powered hubs are notoriously flaky and have been known to do evil things
> to the USB bus.

Either. Currently bus (self) powered. This hub has worked fine on my other
computers without any adverse affect.

I've stepped through w/ kdb and found some more info. I'm not experience
enough with kdb to provide more details, my apologies.

usb_uhci():2952
start_uhci():2896
pci_write_config_word():

[kdb output trimmed]
pci_write_config_word+0x29: call *%eax
pci_conf1_write_config_word: pushl %ebp
+0x1: movl %esp,%ebp
+0x3: pushl %esi
+0x4: pushl %ebx
+0x5: movl 0x8(%ebp),%edx
+0x8: movl 0xc(%ebp),%ecx
+0xb: movl 0x10(%ebp),%esi
+0xe: movl 0x10(%edx),%eax
+0x11: movzbl 0x3c(%eax),%ebx
+0x15: movl 0x20(%edx),%eax
+0x18: shll $0x10,%ebx
+0x1b: shll $0x8,%eax
+0x1e: movl $0xcf8,%edx
+0x23: orl $0x80000000,%eax
+0x28: orl %eax,%ebx
+0x2a: movl %ecx,%eax
+0x2c: andb $0xfc,%al
+0x2e: orl %eax,%ebx
+0x30: movl %ebx,%eax
+0x32: outl %eax,(%dx)
+0x32: outl %eax,(%dx)
+0x33: movl %ecx,%edx
+0x35: movl %esi,%eax
+0x37: andl $0x2,%edx
+0x3a: orl $0xcfc,%edx
+0x40: outw %ax,(%dx)

And here is where it hangs.

--
"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an
eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was

begin:vcard
n:Ford;David
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
version:2.1
email;internet:david@kalifornia.com
title:Blue Labs Developer
x-mozilla-cpt:;14688
fn:David Ford
end:vcard

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:45    [W:0.070 / U:0.252 seconds]