    SubjectRe: Persistent module storage [was Linux 2.4 Status / TODO page]
    Alan Cox wrote:
    > Add a 'preserved' tag for one section of module memory. On load look up the
    > data, if its from this boot memcpy it into the module. On unload write it
    > back to disk. No kernel code needed.

    I like! No kernel code, yet no races or delay.

    As written that removes the possibilities of variable length persistant
    data, and the data is opaque to user space.

    MODULE_PARM provides type information and structure to the data. Why
    not mark certain PARMS as persistent? Not all would be named -- a block
    of opaque data is useful. But certain things like all the mixer levels
    could be named parameters, giving you both persistant storage _and_
    explicit configuration when you want that. "s" PARMS (or similar)
    can hold variable length data.

    -- Jamie

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:45    [W:0.019 / U:22.116 seconds]