    SubjectRe: Installing kernel 2.4
    "Jeff V. Merkey" wrote:
    > We need a format that allow multiple executable segments to be combined
    > in a single executable and the loader have enough smarts to grab the
    > right one based on architecture. two options:
    >
    > 1. extend gcc to support this or rearragne linux into segments based on
    > code type
    > 2. Use PE.

    The kernel isn't going non-ELF. Too painful, for dubious advantages,
    namely:

    The current gcc toolchain already supports what you suggest.

    I understand that some people have even put some thought into a
    bootloader that dynamically links your kernel on bootup, so this idea
    isn't new. It's a good idea though.

    Jeff

    --
    Jeff Garzik | "When I do this, my computer freezes."
    Building 1024 | -user