SubjectRe: CLONE_NAMESPACE, links for dirs and mount(2) for normal users questions
Peter Samuelson wrote:

> [Remi Turk]
> > Do I understand correctly that this means hardlinks to directories
> > (except . and ..) are fundamentally impossible in Linux?
>
> Why do you want to be able to do that? Use symlinks or loopback mounts
> and stay out of trouble.

Probably just because I'm crazy ;-)
Of course I could use symlinks or loopback mounts, but it itn't nearly
as much fun as a directory which really contains itself :-)

> > (I'm thinking about trying to write a garbage collected filesystem
> > with hardlinks to directories.)
>
> Sounds like a lot of extra complexity. Is this academic or do you have
> a practical use for it?

Acedemic.
Well, I might find some practical use for it some day.

(I got inspired by an old thread about garbage collecting filesystems
without a clear answer about whether it was possible to write one in
Linux
(http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0001.1/0410.html)
and the recent thread "[BUG] Inconsistent behaviour of rmdir")

--
Linux 2.4.0-test11-ac4 #1 Tue Nov 28 15:51:01 CET 2000