    SubjectRe: Fasttrak100 questions...
    "Jeff V. Merkey" wrote:

    > On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 10:14:47AM -0500, Christopher Friesen wrote:

    > > I think you should re-read the GPL. You only have to provide source to
    > > people to whome you have distributed your new binaries, and you only
    > > have to provide that source if you are asked for it. If you have some
    > > code that you have written that is based on GPL'd code, and you are the
    > > only person that ever runs the binaries, then there is no obligation for
    > > you to make your code available to anybody.
    >
    > Depends on what terms the code is provided under. Using GPL code in a
    > for profit enterprise and distributing it to customers does require
    > that the changes be provided upon request. I have read the GPL, and
    > I've had a lot of lawyers around here read and analyze it too.
    >
    > :-)

    Well of course this is the case. I specifically said that I am the only
    one that ever ran the binaries. Once you start distributing it to other
    people, then they can request the source additions/modifications and you
    are obligated to provide it.

    Theoretically you could use software based on GPL'd code all throughout
    a for-profit corporation and make boatloads of money using that
    software. As long as you don't distribute it to customers outside the
    company, and as long as none of the employees using it ask for the
    source and distribute it outside the company, nobody outside that
    corporation has any right to the source even though it is being used for
    profit.

    --
    Chris Friesen | MailStop: 043/33/F10
    Nortel Networks | work: (613) 765-0557