    SubjectRe: high load & poor interactivity on fast thread creation
    The IBM implementations of the Java language use native threads --
    the result is that every time you do a Java thread creation, you
    end up with a new cloned process. Now this should be pretty fast,
    so I am surprised that it stalls like that. It is possible this
    is a scheduler effect. Do you have a program example you can
    share with us?

    Also, it is a little old now (by Internet standards) but you
    might take a look at this paper we did at the beginning of
    the year:

    Arnaud Installe wrote:
    > Hello,
    > When creating a lot of Java threads per second linux slows down to a
    > crawl. I don't think this happens on NT, probably because NT doesn't
    > create new threads as fast as Linux does.
    > Is there a way (setting ?) to solve this problem ? Rate-limit the number
    > of threads created ? The problem occurred on linux 2.2, IBM Java 1.1.8.

    Best Regards,

    Ray Bryant
    IBM Linux Technology Center

    "...the Right Thing is more important than the amount of flamage you need
    to go through to get there"
    --Eric S. Raymond

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:49    [W:0.025 / U:4.132 seconds]