SubjectRe: access() says EROFS even for device files if /dev is mounted RO
On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> Sorry, I missed the point at issue here, and what changed when.
> Assuming (perhaps wrongly) it's independent of filesystem type,
>
> Solaris yes ok ok
> HP-UX yes EROFS ok
>
> I don't have UnixWare or OpenServer at hand to test,
> guess UnixWare as Solaris, can report OpenServer tomorrow.
> But it looks like a Floridan answer.

Hugh,

The classical interpretation of the access(2) system call is "do the same
type of permission check as open(2) would do but using real uid in the
credentials instead of effective (or on Linux fs) uid". So, the typical
logic of access() would be:

duplicate credential structure
replace euid with ruid (or with fsuid on Linux)
install this tmp credential in the LWP (or task in Linux)
do the same sort of lookupname() as open() would do
restore saved credentials back

All I am saying is that if open on HP/UX allows writing but access denies
it, it is definitely a bug (in HP/UX). Let's remember why access(2) was
invented at all -- to allow setuid-privileged programs to do permission
checks based on real uid instead of relying on open(2) to fail. This
should make it clear that the two (access(2) and open(2)) should behave
identically modulo the euid->ruid transformation.

Regards,
Tigran

PS. This is the sort of dicussion where openly showing snippets of
proprietary UNIX source code would benefit but, alas, we can't...

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:47    [W:0.303 / U:0.056 seconds]