SubjectRe: IDE-SCSI/HPT366 Problem
On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Kurt Garloff wrote:

>Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 19:14:02 +0100
>From: Kurt Garloff <>
>To: --Damacus Porteng-- <>
>Cc: Linux kernel list <>
>Subject: Re: IDE-SCSI/HPT366 Problem
>On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 01:06:16PM -0600, --Damacus Porteng-- wrote:
>> Problem:
>> The problem lies with using my EIDE CDRW - I set it up properly using
>> IDE-SCSI. I can use my mp3tocdda shell script to encode mp3s to CD
>> (uses cdrecord as well) on the fly using either drive, however, when I
>> use cdrecord to write a data CD, the system hard-locks, no kernel
>> panic messages, and no Magic SysRQ keystroke works.
>> Quite odd that I could do the cdrecord for audio tracks, but not
>> data..
>Strange. If you read data from the harddisk on an IDE channel and write it
>(with cdrecord) to some CDRW on the same IDE channel, you have to expect
>trouble: As with IDE there is no disconnect from the bus (as opposed to
>SCSI), you risk buffer underruns.
>A lockup however is not to be expected :-(

I reported this before as well. Blanking a CDRW on an IDE writer
and trying to mount a cdrom on an IDE reader on the slave on the
same IDE channel produces a dual oops. I got an initial response
from Alan, and I believe Jens Axboe, and never heard about it
again. I dunno if it was fixed or not. It still oops's though.

Mike A. Harris - Linux advocate - Open source advocate
This message is copyright 2000, all rights reserved.
Views expressed are my own, not necessarily shared by my employer.
Be up to date on nerd news and stuff that matters: