SubjectRe: silly [< >] and other excess
Keith Owens a écrit :

> On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 16:02:13 -0600,
> > [Albert D. Cahalan]
> >Me too. (: Keith posed two objections:
> >
> >1. The >] could get word-wrapped so that it doesn't appear on the same
> > line as the [<. I *do not* see what makes this hard to parse
> > reliably.
> People seem to have forgotten that reading an oops from the screen is
> not the only source of data. Many oops are read from syslog which
> contains lots of different lines, most of which have no identification.
> ksymoops has to pick out oops text from a syslog and ignore all the
> non-oops lines.

When the oops is inside an interrupt, ther in no sync, and the only information
is on the 24 lines of the screen (not 25, because the oops ends with a "\n"
that kills one line at the top.

When you have a minor oops, you can add all information you want.
when you have a major oops that stops the machine,
implying a restart with fsck, you have only 25x80 characters.

So, 5 chars between 2 words is TOO MUCH !
why do not use only ONE special character as "~" "!" or ";"
instead of ">] [<"

> If the oops text is just a hex number with no identifying characters
> then it is very difficult to pick out oops text from all the other
> noise in syslog. ksymoops already gets false positives and prints some
> non-oops text, this confuses users who think that these lines are
> related to the oops.
> Removing [< >] increases the already high level of ambiguity and false
> positives in oops reporting from syslog. The presence of the marker
> characters makes the output more robust when line wrapped, without the
> markers a line wrapped trace is just a hex number.

yes, but use a marker made of only ONE character !