    SubjectRe: How to transfer memory from PCI memory directly to user space safely and portable?
    Followup to:  <>
    By author: Philipp Rumpf <>
    In newsgroup:
    > I hope count isn't provided by userspace here ?
    > > 1. What happens if the user space memory is swapped to disk? Will
    > > verify_area() make sure that the memory is in physical RAM when it returns,
    > > or will it return -EFAULT, or will something even worse happen?
    > On i386, you'll sleep implicitly waiting for the page fault to be handled; in
    > the generic case, anything could happen.

    That doesn't sound right. I would expect it to wait for the page to
    be brought in on any and all architectures, otherwise it seems rather
    impossible to write portable Linux kernel code.

    <> at work, <> in private!

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:47    [W:0.023 / U:64.472 seconds]