SubjectRe: How to transfer memory from PCI memory directly to user space safely and portable?
Followup to:  <>
By author: Philipp Rumpf <>
In newsgroup:
> I hope count isn't provided by userspace here ?
> > 1. What happens if the user space memory is swapped to disk? Will
> > verify_area() make sure that the memory is in physical RAM when it returns,
> > or will it return -EFAULT, or will something even worse happen?
> On i386, you'll sleep implicitly waiting for the page fault to be handled; in
> the generic case, anything could happen.

That doesn't sound right. I would expect it to wait for the page to
be brought in on any and all architectures, otherwise it seems rather
impossible to write portable Linux kernel code.

<> at work, <> in private!