SubjectRe: Universal debug macros.
On Sun, Nov 26, 2000 at 08:25:38PM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Followup to: <Pine.LNX.4.10.10011270302570.24716-100000@yle-server.ylenurme.sise>
> By author: Elmer Joandi <elmer@ylenurme.ee>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> >
> > Red Hat will ship two kernels. Well, they actually ship now about 4 ones
> > or something. So they will ship 8.
> >

> Something RedHat & co may want to consider doing is providing a basic
> kernel and have, as part of the install procedure or later, an
> automatic recompile and install kernel procedure. It could be
> automated very easily, and on all but the very slowest of machines, it
> really doesn't take that long.

(Note, I work in the GCC group, not the Linux group, so the following is MHO,
and not Red Hat gospel).

Assuming you've installed the compiler/other relevant tools, installed the
kernel source, and have enough disk space to build the kernel. This would
screw people wanting to install Linux on their old 386/486/pentium for use as a
firewall or web server. For example, the machine I'm planning on moving a web
server to only has 2 gig of disk. Right now, I have barely enough space to
hold the compiler tools plus web pages I want to serve. If I was serving much
more content, I would probably chuck the compiler tools/kernel source.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.
Work: meissner@redhat.com phone: +1 978-486-9304