    SubjectRe: problem with hp C1537A tape drives

    Hello Paul , Could you add a little more info like which scsi
    chipset you are using & what the driver version is & what kernel
    version you are running also (One more )& how you have the drive
    chained to the scsi-bus . Someplace there is a pointer on howto
    reset the scsi-bus from the /proc system , BUT the method is
    highly not recommended . Hth , JimL

    On Sun, 26 Nov 2000, Paul Jakma wrote:
    > I have a problem with the aforementioned DDS-3 tape drives. I'm using
    > one with amanda for backups. But every now and then the nightly backup
    > fails with "I/O error" and i see the following in the system logs:
    > st0: Error with sense data: [valid=0] Info fld=0x0, Current st09:00:
    > sense key Aborted Command
    > Additional Sense indicates Data phase error
    > I try various things to get the drive to work again -> mt rewind, mt
    > retension, load and unload the tape. "scsi remove-single-device" ->
    > power off drive -> power up -> "scsi add-single-device". (it's not the
    > tape cause i've tried replacing tapes).
    > but nothing helps. now it mightn't be unreasonable to say the drive is
    > faulty, so i replaced the drive with an identical C1537A. And... same
    > thing happens again: after a couple of weeks of good backups i get the
    > same problem again.
    > Is there a known problem with SCSI tape drives? or with HP DDS-3
    > drives? What does the kernel error message mean? (it's all 0's so not
    > much i guess). What is a "Data Phase error"?
    > thanks in advance,
    > Paul Jakma.
    | James W. Laferriere | System Techniques | Give me VMS |
    | Network Engineer | 25416 22nd So | Give me Linux |
    | | DesMoines WA 98198 | only on AXP |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:47    [W:0.025 / U:213.008 seconds]