    SubjectRe: How to transfer memory from PCI memory directly to user space safely and portable?
    On Sun, Nov 26, 2000 at 02:21:31PM +0100, Anders Torger wrote:
    > memcpy_toio(iobase, user_space_src, count);

    I hope count isn't provided by userspace here ?

    > 1. What happens if the user space memory is swapped to disk? Will
    > verify_area() make sure that the memory is in physical RAM when it returns,
    > or will it return -EFAULT, or will something even worse happen?

    On i386, you'll sleep implicitly waiting for the page fault to be handled; in
    the generic case, anything could happen.

    > 2. Is this code really portable? I currently have an I386 architecture, and I
    > could use copy_to/from_user on that instead, but that is not portable. Now,
    > by using memcpy_to/fromio instead, is this code fully portable?

    No. It would be portable if you were using memcpy_fromuser_toio and it

    > 3. Will the current process always be the correct one? The copy functions is
    > directly initiated by the user, and not through an interrupt, so I think the
    > user space mapping will always be to the correct process. Is that correct?

    current should be fine if you're not in a bh/interrupt/kernel thread.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:47    [W:0.021 / U:11.280 seconds]