SubjectRe: setting up pppd dial-in on linux

You are not alone. And the problem gets even worse when you
have to deal with ISDN devices. In my company´s data room we
have all Linux servers running 365 days a year (minus upgrade
time) and in one corner a lonely Windows NT Server 3.0 with 5
Client Access Licenses working as a RAS server for 2 Diva Server
BRI cards (4 analog/digital channels) plus one analog modem.
Time to set it up? Half an hour counting NT installation. Time i lost
investigating and trying different configurations, dealing with
contradictory documentation, chat scripts, different ipppd versions,
and authentication failures? 2 days. At Ieast i cant complain about
pppd oops, as you do, the pppd in RH6.2 seemed solid. The
document of reference that seemed more interesting to me at the
time was http://www.swcp.com/~jgentry/pers.html , have a look
please.

Regards,
Pedro

On 25 Nov 2000, at 0:36, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> Anyone out there a whiz at setting up a pppd dialin server? I am
> trying to put together an RPM for pppd dialin configurations
> that will support default Windows NT and Linux dial in clients
> without requiring the poor user to learn bash scripting, chat
> scripting, mgetty and inittab configuration, etc. The steps
> in setting this up are about as easy as going on a U.N. relief
> mission to equatorial Africa, and most customers who are
> "mere mortals" would give up about an hour into it.
>
> I am seeing massive problems with pppd dial-in and IP/IPX
> routing with problems that range from constant Oops, to
> the bug infested pppd daemon failing valid MD5 chap
> authentication. The HOW-TO's and man pages provide
> wonderful commentary on all the things about pppd
> that don't work, but it's not too helpful on getting
> it to work reliably. An NT dial-in server takes about
> 5 minutes to configure on W2K. Linux takes about 2 days, and
> won't stay up reliably.
>
> Who out there is an expert on Linux pppd that would like
> to help put together some easy configs for standard
> dial-in scenarios?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jeff
>

> -

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:47    [W:0.071 / U:2.084 seconds]