    SubjectRe: silly [< >] and other excess
    Russell King writes:
    > Albert D. Cahalan writes:

    >> Symbols:
    >> c000000a __start
    >> c0105344 qfs_frob_directory
    >> c01a4600 qfs_cleaner
    >> c01a4b98 qfs_hash_file_record
    >> Well, that first symbol (__start) was really "jump +10", but the
    >> extra noise doesn't hurt anyone. You get what you need, no matter
    >> how mangled the oops is. It can be word-wrapped, missing chunks...
    >> The tool doesn't need to care.
    > However, now rather than just reading the dump as you can with
    > ksymoops or whatever, you have to look at the raw data and try
    > to match it up with a symbol in the list.

    Yes. Don't you look at the raw data anyway?

    Um, maybe you just don't work the way I do. In response to one
    of your other messages, most of the time I have two PowerPC books
    open on my desk. I hadn't thought that was so odd.

    If you are going to rely on a tool, you might as well add some
    error correction bits to the oops, base-32 encode it, and chop
    it up into 5-character words for ease of paper-and-pencil copy.

    > So, with that ARM dump I gave you, we'd potentially end up with
    > about 100 lines of symbols, where about 90 of them are useless.

    In theory yes, but in practice no. Your kernel isn't a significant
    portion of your address space, so the chance of random data being
    looked up successfully is very low. Maybe a 1% chance on 32-bit
    hardware, and far less on 64-bit hardware.

    > That would be a backwards step in the development of Linux IMHO.
    > PS, you're not going to convince me unless you can come up with something
    > that produces ksymoops-like output, so there's no point continuing.

    Somebody else posted a reasonable hack for the [<>] problem.
    His proposal involved letting multiple values share the same
    markers, something like this:

    [<c19a5cb4 c180234c c1801134 c1706550 c1800248 c1603310 c1934878 c1840324>]

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:47    [W:0.023 / U:2.972 seconds]