    SubjectRe: ext2 filesystem corruptions back from dead? 2.4.0-test11

    On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, Andre Hedrick wrote:

    [I wrote]
    > > ?
    > > If you have a l-k feed from future - please share. I'm not saying that
    >
    > Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 04:37:21 -0500 (EST)
    >
    > > fs/* is not the source of that stuff, but I sure as hell had not said
    > > that it is. I simply don't know yet.
    >
    > You were pointing out changes to reproduce the effect.

    Erm... Since then the problem had been reproduced on the patched tree, so
    we apparently have something else. Behaviour on disk/quota overflow is
    a separate story - even with fixes for that problem stays.

    > > > Since there have been not kernel changes to the driver that effect the
    > > > code since 2.4.0-test5 or test6 and it now randomly shows up after five or
    > > > six revisions out from the change, and the changes were chipset only.
    > >
    > > generic_unplug_device() was changed more or less recently. I doubt that
    > > it is relevant, but...
    >
    > Cool, the issue was that I get tried of people blaming the ATA subsystem
    > for things that it does not do or has control over. Basically, I kill
    > bogus threads that try to tag me with an old problem of the past that was
    > a hardware issue.

    <shrug> I don't see any attempts to tag you (or ATA subsystem, for that matter)
    in that thread. And thread is hardly bogus... I agree that changes in
    drivers/ide/* are very unlikely to be the source of that, but information
    of that kind can help to weed out some of the changes in ll_rw_blk.c.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:47    [W:3.761 / U:0.176 seconds]