SubjectRe: user-mode port 0.34-2.4.0-test11
Date
Jeff Dike wrote:

> The user-mode port of 2.4.0-test11 is available.
>
> UML is now able to run as a daemon, i.e. with no stdin/stdout/stderr.
>
> The hostfs filesystem now works as a readonly filesystem. It's now
> configurable. I'm using it as a module. It ought to work compiled into the
> kernel, but I haven't checked this.
>
> I fixed a number of bugs.
>
> NOTE: If you compile from source, you must put 'ARCH=um' on the make command
> line or in the environment, like:
> make linux ARCH=um
> or
> ARCH=um make linux
> or
> export ARCH=um
> make linux
>
> This is because I've changed the top-level Makefile to build either a native
> kernel or a usermode kernel, with the default being native. This is in
> preparation for submitting this port to the main pool. The ARCH calculation
> is now this:
>
> # SUBARCH tells the usermode build what the underlying arch is. That is set
> # first, and if a usermode build is happening, the "ARCH=um" on the command
> # line overrides the setting of ARCH below. If a native build is happening,
> # then ARCH is assigned, getting whatever value it gets normally, and
> # SUBARCH is subsequently ignored.
>
> SUBARCH:= $(shell uname -m | sed -e s/i.86/i386/ -e s/sun4u/sparc64/ -e
> s/arm.*/arm/ -e s/sa110/arm/)
> ARCH:= $(SUBARCH)
>
> If anyone has any objections to this going in the main pool, let me know, and
> also let me know what you would suggest as a fix.

As you know, I'm making heavy use of uml for mm, vfs and fs development,
and I can't say enough good things about it. With uml I have a
development cycle that looks roughly like this:

20 secs make+gcc+ln
10 secs boot new user mode linux
6 secs fsck (if crashed before) :-)
*tests go here*
10 secs shutdown

And there are still a lot of ways to tighten that up. The stability has
been impressive - so far, no crashes at all that weren't supposed to be
crashes, at least in the work I'm doing.

I think this is ready...

--
Daniel