    SubjectRe: Advanced Linux Kernel/Enterprise Linux Kernel

    > > book, Ext2 throws safety to the wind to achieve speed. This also ties
    > > into Linux' convoluted VM system, and is shot in the foot by NFS. We
    > > would need minimally a journaled filesystem and a clean VM design,
    > > probably with a unified cache (no separate buffer, directory entry and
    > > page caches). The Tux2 Phase Trees look to be a good step in the
    > > direction as well, in terms of FS reliability. The filesystem would have
    > > to do checksums on every block.
    > Actually, I was planning on doing on putting in a hack to do something
    > like that: calculate a checksum after every buffer data update and check
    > it after write completion, to make sure nothing scribbled in the buffer
    > in the interim. This would also pick up some bad memory problems.

    You might want to take look to a patch with crc loop option.

    It does verify during read, not during write; but that's even better because
    that way you pick up problems in IO subsystem, too.
    details at

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:47    [W:0.019 / U:16.948 seconds]