SubjectRe: Memory management bug
On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> Actually memory balancing in 2.4.x doesn't get any information,
> not even the information about which _classzone_ where to free
> the memory (NOTE: both 2.2.x and 2.0.x _always_ got the
> classzone where to free memory at least). This classzone missing
> information causes resources wastage indeed and I just fixed it
> several times, BTW.

Interesting, I can't remember you sending me any
patches...

Also, the 2.4 VM (unlike the other VMs) doesn't actually
FREE memory wrongly (with the exception of buffer cache
pages from page_launder()) but just moves it to the
inactive_clean list, from where it will be re-used by one
of those 99% user level allocations that happen on a typical
Linux system.

But, as I said in Ottawa, I wouldn't mind any classzone
stuff in the new VM, as long as it won't complicate the
integration of _other_ memory organisations (like NUMA).

regards,

Rik
--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
-- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/