    SubjectRe: [BUG] Inconsistent behaviour of rmdir

    On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Jean-Marc Saffroy wrote:

    > Now I see your point : by "." or "foo/." you mean the directory itself,
    > while "foo" or "foo/" refer to the link to the directory, and they are
    > obviously different objects... at least since hard links on directories
    > were introduced. Fine.

    Sorry, no. Directories still have only one parent. However, "." _is_ a
    link. It's not a shortcut or something like that - it's a real, normal,
    honest-to-$DEITY directory entry. Aka link.

    > Ok, now I get it. Thanks for this much clearer explanation.
    >
    > I guess that this was not a problem in 2.2 precisely because hard links on
    > directories were forbidden, right ?

    That was a problem and that still _is_ a problem - these races are unsolvable
    without a pretty serious namei.c rewrite and unless Alan is willing to go
    for that in 2.2 they are there to stay.

    As for the hard links being forbidden - in some sense they never were, in
    some sense they still are. Situation didn't change - directory can't have
    more than one parent. OTOH, every directory has at least two links - from
    the parent and from itself (+ one from each child).

    > > Besides, we clearly violated
    > > all relevant standards - rmdir() and rename() are required to fail
    > > if the last component of name happens to "." or "..".
    >
    > By standard, do you imply 'de facto' ? Or does any source clearly state
    > this ?

    POSIX, for one thing.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:21    [W:0.021 / U:90.996 seconds]