SubjectRe: [BUG] Inconsistent behaviour of rmdir
Followup to:  <>
By author: David Feuer <>
In newsgroup:
> . and foo/. are also links, not directories... the directories themselves
> are filesystem internal objects, and not discussed by the standard. I
> didn't know that linux supported hard links to directories... Isn't that
> just asking for trouble?

It is on filesystems which has ".." physically on disk. Linux no
longer requires this, although for example ext2 does have this.

I don't believe it's inherently impossible in Linux anymore. In fact,
vfsbinds provide a lot of the same kind of functionality; the main
difference between vfsbinds and hard links are that the former (a) can
cross filesystem boundaries and (b) aren't persistent.
<> at work, <> in private!