    SubjectRe: [BUG] Inconsistent behaviour of rmdir
    Date
    Followup to:  <4.3.2.7.2.20001116161327.00b2f810@postoffice.brown.edu>
    By author: David Feuer <David_Feuer@brown.edu>
    In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

    > . and foo/. are also links, not directories... the directories themselves
    > are filesystem internal objects, and not discussed by the standard. I
    > didn't know that linux supported hard links to directories... Isn't that
    > just asking for trouble?

    It is on filesystems which has ".." physically on disk. Linux no
    longer requires this, although for example ext2 does have this.

    I don't believe it's inherently impossible in Linux anymore. In fact,
    vfsbinds provide a lot of the same kind of functionality; the main
    difference between vfsbinds and hard links are that the former (a) can
    cross filesystem boundaries and (b) aren't persistent.

    -hpa
    http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt