    SubjectRe: [BUG] Inconsistent behaviour of rmdir
    Followup to:  <>
    By author: David Feuer <>
    In newsgroup:
    > . and foo/. are also links, not directories... the directories themselves
    > are filesystem internal objects, and not discussed by the standard. I
    > didn't know that linux supported hard links to directories... Isn't that
    > just asking for trouble?

    It is on filesystems which has ".." physically on disk. Linux no
    longer requires this, although for example ext2 does have this.

    I don't believe it's inherently impossible in Linux anymore. In fact,
    vfsbinds provide a lot of the same kind of functionality; the main
    difference between vfsbinds and hard links are that the former (a) can
    cross filesystem boundaries and (b) aren't persistent.

    <> at work, <> in private!

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:47    [W:0.023 / U:107.380 seconds]