    SubjectRe: [CFT] dmfe.c network driver update for 2.4
    Tobias Ringstrom wrote:
    > On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > > Tobias Ringstrom wrote:
    > > > I have updated the dmfe.c network driver for 2.4.0-test by adding proper
    > > > locking (I hope), and also made transmission much efficient.

    > > Would you mind creating a separate patch that -just- correcting the SMP
    > > safety? That makes it much easier to review and apply, and then we can
    > > consider the other changes...

    > Such a patch will appear shortly. I and Frank Davis are currently merging
    > our patches for dmfe.c.

    Thanks a bunch.

    > [Actually, I just added reasonable locks while my main goal was to improve
    > performance. I did not realize that there was such a strong need for SMP
    > safety (since it has been broken in that regard for a long time, without
    > anyone fixing it).]

    The kernel driver APIs are designed so that SMP and UP cases are equally
    high-performance, and portable beyond the x86 platform.

    Pretty much all ISA and PCI drivers need to be portable and SMP safe...
    if not so, it's a bug. That said, there is certainly more motivation to
    make a popular PCI driver is SMP safe than an older ISA driver. And
    portability is [IMHO] less of a priority than SMP safety, though it
    depends on the hardware being supported.

    Regards,

    Jeff

    --
    Jeff Garzik |
    Building 1024 | The chief enemy of creativity is "good" sense