SubjectRe: CONFIG_USB_HOTPLUG (was Patch(?): linux-2.4.0-test11-pre4/drivers/sound/yss225.c compile failure)
Jeff Garzik wrote:
>"Adam J. Richter" wrote:
>> You were right: the
>> __devinitdata being used in the USB drivers will probably crash the
>> kernel if CONFIG_HOTPLUG is not defined and the USB code attempts to
>> recover from an error by faking disconnect/reconnect.
>[...]
>> Until there is __usbdev{init,exit}{,data}, the incorrect
>> __devinitdata qualifiers should be removed from the USB device
>> drivers (but not from the host controller drivers, which are PCI drivers).

>If a user hotplugs a device into a kernel which does not support
>CONFIG_HOTPLUG, they are shooting themselves in the foot.

I have always agreed with that (ultimately, I would have the
non-hot-plug kernel simply ignore hot insert events, which would
make it a bit smaller anyhow). That was not the scenario I was
warning about. Please reread this section of the message you
were resonding to:

| __devinitdata being used in the USB drivers will probably crash the
| kernel if CONFIG_HOTPLUG is not defined and the USB code attempts to
| recover from an error by faking disconnect/reconnect.

It has nothing to do with the user physically trying
to do hot plugging.

>I don't see that __devinitdata should be removed.

The reason that __devinitdata should be removed from
the USB drivers (or replaced with __usbdevinitdata) is that
under the status quo, USB storage error recovery code and the
usbdevfs reset code will crash on any non-CONFIG_HOTPLUG kernel
without the user doing anything wrong.

>*plonk*

I expect an apology for that.

Adam J. Richter __ ______________ 4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 104
adam@yggdrasil.com \ / San Jose, California 95129-1034
fax +1 408 261-6631 "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:45    [W:0.040 / U:0.120 seconds]