SubjectRe: Patch(?): linux-2.4.0-test11-pre4/drivers/sound/yss225.c compilefailure
On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Adam J. Richter wrote:
> >
> > > linux-2.4.0-test11-pre4/drivers/sound/yss225.c uses __initdata
> > > but does not include <linux/init.h>, so it could not compile. I have
> > > attached below.
> > >
> > > Note that I am a bit uncertain about the correctness of
> > > the __initdata prefix here in the first place. Is yss225 a PCI
> > > device? If so, a kernel that supports PCI hot plugging should
> > > be prepared to support the possibility of a hot pluggable yss225
> > > card being inserted after the module has already been initialized.
> > > Even if no CardBus or CompactPCI version of yss225 hardware exists
> > > yet, it will require less maintenance for PCI drivers to be prepared
> > > for this possibility from the outset (besides, is it possible to have a
> > > hot pluggable PCI bridge card that bridges to a regular PCI bus?).
> >
> > Good question....

I mean question about h-p PCI bridge card that bridges regular PCI bus...

> Please err on the conservative side -- IMHO you shouldn't mark a driver
> as hotpluggable (by using the '__dev' prefix) unless you know it is
> necessary.
>
> Otherwise, you rob CONFIG_HOTPLUG people of some memory that could
> otherwise be freed at boot. And the number of CONFIG_HOTPLUG people is
> not small, it includes not only the CardBus users but USB users too...
>
> Jeff

I fully agree. That's why "hotplugging" drivers requires some more
effort then just adding __devfoo instead of __foo.
Jeff, have you read last coment in my mail?

--
Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
<bkz@linux-ide.org>