    SubjectRE: What protects f_pos?

    > writes:
    > > This looks like it's a bug to me.... although if you have multiple
    > > threads hitting a file descriptor at the same time, you're pretty much
    > > asking for trouble.
    > Yes, I haven't been able to come up with an example that might trigger
    > this that wasn't dubious to begin with. I'll raise this again at a
    > convenient time during 2.5.
    > David

    Suppose you had a multithreaded program that used a configuration file with
    a group of fixed-length blocks indicating what work it had to do. Each
    thread read a block from the file and then did the work. One might think
    that there's no need to protect the file descriptor with a mutex.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:45    [W:0.019 / U:8.344 seconds]