    SubjectRe: [Fwd: sendmail fails to deliver mail with attachments in /var/spool/mqueue]
    On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

    > On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 03:07:46PM -0500, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
    > > It isn't a TCP/IP stack problem. It may be a memory problem. Every time
    > > sendmail spawns a child to send the file data, it crashes. That's
    > > why the file never gets sent!
    >
    > Sure that could be the case. You should be able to verify the kernel kills the
    > task with `dmesg`.
    >
    > However Jeff said the problem happens over 400K and a 500K attachment shouldn't
    > really run any machine out of memory, so maybe this wasn't his same problem?
    >
    > Andrea

    It ran out of memory. The file got sent fine after I got rid of
    all the memory-consumers. Looks like a sendmail bug where they
    expect to load a whole file into memory all at once before sending
    it. I always thought you could read from a file, then write to
    a socket. Maybe I'm old fashioned.

    Cheers,
    Dick Johnson

    Penguin : Linux version 2.4.0 on an i686 machine (799.54 BogoMips).

    obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:45    [W:3.121 / U:0.004 seconds]