    SubjectRe: 1.2.45 Linux Scheduler
    ---------  Received message begins Here  ---------

    > In the Linux scheduler they use a circular queue implementation with round
    > robin. What is the advantage of this over just using a normal queue with a
    > back and front. Also does anyone know what a test plan for such a design
    > would even begin to look like. This is a project for a proposal going around
    > in my neighborhood and I am wondering why in the world someone would want to
    > modify the Linux scheduler to this extent.

    This is not an authoritive answer but:

    It's simple, and fast. Locks only needed when adding/removing

    It is also nearly optimum when the queue only has 5 (or so) number of
    entries. It will not be optimum if there are 32/64 CPUs with 120 or more
    runnable entries. There are other schedulers available that may do a
    better job for that situation.

    Jesse I Pollard, II

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:45    [W:0.019 / U:0.148 seconds]