On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 02:08:55AM -0700, Miles Lane wrote:
> Andre Hedrick wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > They may be a way to test and create drive profiles that are stored and
> > reloaded to the kernel that will add the missing supercharge on Andrea's
> > elevator. Basically creating a physical LBA sector profile.
> >
> > Trust that this will be painful to create because this is the secret of
> > the industry and I can not get access to it for Linux, even under
> > full-disclosure NDA's.
>
> Is this the kind of information required to build an application
> like Partition Magic? It sure would be nice to have a native
> version of Partition Magic or an Open Source work-alike.
> Is anyone aware of a project to implement such an Open Source
> alternative?

You mean like gpart?

laotzu:~# dpkg -s gpart
Package: gpart
Gpart is a tool which tries to guess the primary partition table of a
PC-type disk in case the primary partition table in sector 0 is
damaged, incorrect or deleted.
.
It is also good at finding and listing the types, locations, and
sizes of inadvertently-deleted partitions, both primary and logical.
It gives you the information you need to manually re-create them
(using fdisk, cfdisk, sfdisk, etc.).
.
The guessed table can also be written to a file or (if you firmly
believe the guessed table is entirely correct) directly to a disk
device.
.
Supported (guessable) filesystem or partition types:
.
DOS/Windows FAT (FAT 12/16/32)
Linux ext2
Linux swap partitions versions 0 and 1 (Linux >= v2.2.X)
OS/2 HPFS
Windows NTFS
*BSD disklabels
Solaris/x86 disklabels
Minix FS
Reiser FS
LVM physical volumes
.
Other types may be added relatively easily, as separately compiled modules.

/David Weinehall
_ _
// David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:39    [W:0.054 / U:3.044 seconds]