SubjectRe: poll(2) semantics changed in 2.4.0-? vs. 2.2.16?

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Andi Kleen wrote:

[icmp errors on unconnected udp sockets not passed to application layer]

> Alexey Kuznetsov (kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru) changed it. Ask him why he did it,
> I agree with you that it would make more sense to keep the old behaviour
> (even though it is differing from most other BSD sockets implementations)
>
> To answer your question: you'll only get the error reported now when the
> UDP socket is either connect(2)ed or when you enabled asynchronous
> error reporting using IP_RECVERR.

Thanks, both works fine. To understand the reason for this change I've
browsed the discussion on l-k when it was introduced in 2.3.4x.
My impression is, there are two approaches (RFC1122 vs. BSD) which are
mutually exclusive and could be attributed as broken from the respective
point of view.
I'm just going to formulate an idea I have not to solve but to work around
this ambiguity and retain maximum compatibility and honor both sides of
the story :)

Regards,
Martin

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:39    [W:0.050 / U:0.216 seconds]