SubjectRe: [preview] VIA v3.6 and AMD v1.2 IDE drivers
On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 08:04:42AM -0400, Byron Stanoszek wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > For those who like to try out the very latest developments, I'm
> > including my latest VIA and AMD IDE tuning drivers.
> >
> > Just place all the files in drivers/ide of a 2.4 kernel and have fun.
> >
> > Of course, I'm interested in all success/failure stories.
>
> Hi there. I have not had a chance to test my kernel with your patch yet, but I
> couldn't help noticing a glob of timing code in your ide-timing.h file. Did I
> miss something one day, or is the general concensus now to put code in header
> files? I'd prefer to see them as a separate module (ide-timing.c) or something
> that is compiled in for both via82cxxx.c and amd7540.c. What if you wanted both
> drivers for some reason, the code would get entered into the kernel twice.
>
> Well, I assume it is in the header file because it is used by both .c files. If
> not, then it makes sense to just stick that code into one of the .c files.
> (Perhaps I should take a closer look at the code :).

It's a .h file just for the ease-of-use sake now. I'm planning to turn
it into a .c library file. However, that requires modificating the
makefiles and I needed a drop-in replacement for the moment.

> Anyway, I'm planning on doing some pretty big tests later tonight with that
> driver. One thing that I noticed while using v1.2 of the via82cxxx.c driver is
> that with a pci bus rate of 37mhz and a 33mhz udma dvd-rom (Pioneer 16x),
> playing a cd will suddenly stop playing on certain songs. These 'stop points'
> seem to be evenly distributed across the cd (every 12 minutes or so). Not sure
> exactly what it is, but I thought I'd bring it to your attention. I don't have
> enough testing performed on that to determine if it is overclocking the pci bus
> that caused that, or your driver, or something else. I do know that it worked
> fine in test7 with the old non-existant drive timings.
>
> I guess I'm just ranting for now, but I will have some results for you later
> tonight. Thanks for hearing me out. :)

Just make sure you specify idebus=37 to the kernel, so that the driver
has a chance to compute the correct timing.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs