SubjectRe: 2.4.0-test9-pre8
Do you have nscd installed and running or have incorrect nsswitch/resolv.conf

I have several systems here on test9p8 and they all start up very fast. Full
boot is usually less than 45 seconds, 60 for the X on my laptop. What is
that UDP socket for? port 53 I'm guessing? Double check your dns setup, it
may be coincidental.

Martin Diehl wrote:

> first I've realized it is pretty unaltered no matter whether mem=8M or
> mem=192M. Next unexpected observation was apache with 5 preforked childs
> starting within seconds (at mem=8M) while sendmail needed 3 minutes or
> so, even with mem=192M. So I started to execute everything from the
> initscripts by hand, step by step.
> Result: it's not VM-related! Several processes (newaliases e.g.) are
> blocking in do_poll on udp socket for minutes - probably until timeout.
> This behavior started from 2.4.0-t9p8 onwards. Had to hack the box' config
> a little bit, but now it's ok (read: working, but not yet understood).
> So for me with 2.4.0-test9 (final) on UP there is no VM-related deadlock
> anymore (except the rather esoteric swap-to-file-on-ext2-on-ramdisk thing)

"There is a natural aristocracy among men. The grounds of this are
virtue and talents", Thomas Jefferson [1742-1826], 3rd US President