    SubjectRe: Quota mods needed for journaled quota

    > On Oct 26, 11:00am, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
    > > Subject: Re: Quota mods needed for journaled quota
    > > > This would allow ext3 to do that which it needs to do differently
    > > > at Q_QUOTAON and would also allow Jan's changes to work in such
    > > > a way that both the current form of dquot structure and his new
    > > > version of dquots could be used together
    > >
    > > Adding the init_quota hook would do that, as the filesystem will be
    > > able to install its own dq_ops methods during the init so we get the
    > > flexibility you are asking for anyway.
    > >
    > Hmmm ... I'm not so sure. In order to have the flexibility
    > of filesystem-specific dquot formats, the struct dquot would
    > need to become more like struct inode/super_block, i.e. not
    > hardcoding the ondisk structure into the incore structure
    > (using a union and a generic pointer, as inode/super_block do).
    > The DQUOT_SYNC mechanism would need to be able to be overridden
    > per-filesystem also. It isn't really as cut-and-dried as "per-
    > filesystem" either, because an ext2/3 filesystem might make use
    > of either the original dquot format or Jan's newer format, either
    > at mount time or even after doing a quota_off & quota_on with a
    > new quota file format (that would be quite clean).
    Hmm. Probably I wouldn't allow to override quotactl() but make it like
    other callbacks - operations like quota_on() quota_off() and so
    could be overridden (or better filesystem could specify callback to be called
    after some generic work), quotactl() will call foo_quotactl() if it won't
    recognize the operation number.
    But I don't feel urgent need of this redesign so I would wait for some
    time so current fixes can settle down...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:45    [W:0.020 / U:5.544 seconds]