    SubjectRe: test10-pre7
    Date
    Linus Torvalds writes:
    > On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Keith Owens wrote:
    > > LINK_FIRST is processed in the order it is specified, so a.o will be
    > > linked before z.o when both are present. See the patch.
    >
    > So why don't you do the same thing for obj-y, then?
    >
    > Why can't you do
    >
    > LINK_FIRST=$(obj-y)
    >
    > and be done with it?

    Hmm, so why don't we just call it obj-y and be done with it? ;)

    Since someone kindly enlightened me that LINK_FIRST was unsorted, I'm finding
    it very hard to grasp what the difference is between an unsorted LINK_FIRST
    and unsorted LINK_LAST list, and an unsorted obj-y list. From what I
    understand, obj-y = $(LINK_FIRST) $(LINK_LAST) ?

    Therefore, there is little difference between:

    LINK_FIRST = a.o z.o
    LINK_LAST = y.o p.o

    and

    obj-y = a.o z.o y.o p.o

    I still don't see what LINK_FIRST and LINK_LAST gains us, other than
    potentially more confusion. Instead of having one order-dependent
    variable, we now have 2. Please enlighten me further!
    _____
    | | | | http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/personal/aboutme.html / / |
    / | THE developer of ARM Linux |+| /|\

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:45    [W:0.023 / U:59.316 seconds]