    SubjectRe: kmalloc() allocation.

    On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Ingo Oeser wrote:

    > On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 02:40:16PM -0200, Rik van Riel wrote:
    > > > There are 256 megabytes of SDRAM available. I don't think it's
    > > > reasonable that a 1/2 megabyte allocation would fail, especially
    > > > since it's the first module being installed.
    > > If you write the defragmentation code for the VM, I'll
    > > be happy to bump up the limit a bit ...
    > Should become easier once we start doing physical page scannings.
    > We could record physical continous freeable areas on the fly
    > then. If someone asks for them later, we recheck whether they
    > still exists and free (inactive_clean) or remap (active or
    > inactive_dirty) the whole area, whether they are used or not.

    I am confused. Why cannot one simply audit the memory usage and always
    have an up-to-date list of free memory pages? When a page is allocated,
    the allocator should make a call to move that page outside of the
    freelist; and when it is free, just move it back to the free list. Is it
    because of the overhead?