    SubjectRe: Need info on the use of certain datastructures and the first C++ keyword patch for 2.2.17
    Date
    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Alan Cox" <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
    To: "Linux Kernel Developer" <linux_developer@hotmail.com>
    Cc: <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
    Sent: Monday, October 30, 2000 8:04 AM
    Subject: Re: Need info on the use of certain datastructures and the first
    C++ keyword patch for 2.2.17

    > > js_dev::new. My questions are basically this. If I update these data
    > > structure members' names along with the references to them in various C
    > > files in the kernel will all be happy in Linuxland. Can any external
    >
    > That may well be a problem. Also the use of private.
    >
    > You may find that creating your own wrappers for these files that do
    >
    > extern "C" {
    > #define new new_
    > #define private private_
    > #include <linux/foo.h>
    > #undef new
    > #undef private
    > }
    >
    > safer, since you won't break anything

    That was one of the two possible solutions I was looking at initially.
    Having for example a module.hpp header file alongside module.h which did the
    extern "C" {} wrapper along with the #define new lk_new, etc. Actually that
    would be an easier task for me as I could easily write a Perl script which
    automatically built that for any kernel. However from the responses I
    gathered at the time it was mostly recommended against. I am also leary at
    that option as some variable (and function?) names would differ when used in
    either a C or C++ program and also after having seeing the horror Palm did
    with defines in their SDK.

    Perhaps this is what I should do. Continue making the straitforward
    fixes that will not break anything and incorporate that into my main patch.
    Fixes for situations such as the one I encountered in those 3 data
    structures I will put into a separate patch for testing to see if the change
    affects anybody. If those modifications happen prove unwise then for those
    rare cases do the .hpp option on those header files.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:45    [W:0.024 / U:58.780 seconds]