    SubjectRe: 2.2.18Pre Lan Performance Rocks!

    On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

    > For example, if you put a MOV EAX, CR3; MOV CR3, EAX; in a context
    > switching path, on a PPro 200, you can do about 35,000 context
    > switches/second

    in 2.4 & Xeons we can do more than 100,000 context switches/second, and
    that is more than enough. But the point is: network IO performance does
    not depend on context switching speed too much. Also, in Linux we are
    using global pages which makes kernel-space TLBs persistent even across
    CR3 flushes.

    > [...] There's also the use of segment registers all over the place to
    > copy from kernel to user and user to kernel space memory. [...]

    we do not use the fs segment register for user-space copies anymore,
    neither in 2.2, nor in 2.4. You must be reading old books and probably
    forgot to cross-check with the kernel source? :-)

    > [...] Having the fast paths you mention does help a lot, but it's the
    > fact that this goes on at all that will make it tough to walk into a
    > NetWare shop with Linux and rip out NetWare servers and replace them
    > unless we look at a NetWare vs. NetLinux (that's what we call it! a
    > NetWare-like Linux platform).

    the worst thing you can do is to mis-identify performance problems and
    spend braincells on the wrong problem. The problems limiting Linux network
    scalability have been identified during the last 12 months by a small
    team, and solved in TUX. TUX is a fileserver, it shouldnt be alot of work
    to enable it for (TCP-only?) netware serving. It's *done*, Jeff, it's not
    a hypotetical thing, it's here, it works and it performs.

    Ingo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:45    [W:0.029 / U:0.600 seconds]