SubjectRe: problems with 2.4.0-test8
Petko Manolov wrote:

> > which DaveM submitted a patch some time ago. Check your logs for:
> > kernel BUG at ll_rw_blk.c:711
>
> It might be, but might not. My log files are clear from such error. This
> is because of hard locking of the machine.
>
> I'll test Rik's patch first.
>
> best,
> Petkan

My previous replly was targeted more to the comments of R. Polton where
sysreq still functioned but was unable to sync the disk netscape was
reading/writing. The fix for this one was posted by DaveM and is in
the test9.prex kernels.

As for the hard lockups, I s'pose we can blame Rik. ;-) I've been
loathe
to do so tho' because on my box the locks always occur with low memory
pressure. I actually thought that he had them fixed with his vmpatch
cuz'
I didn't get any lockups with a heavier load. Opening netscape, star
office
and doing repeated make clean/Build-kernels worked just fine. Closed
star
office started compiling -pre9 went back to reading mail and zap;
lock-up.

It always happens the same although I can't repeat it on demand. Start
a kernel compile and go read mail. Somewhere upon switching mail
folders
in netscape it locks. Box is _never_ under swap when this occurs. Wish
it
would at least log _something_ to report.

Athlon 750 128M memory 124M swap

Rik: are you having fun yet?? ;-)