SubjectRe: GPL Question
All, IANAL, but:

#1: take this discussion of this list...

goto news:comp.software.licensing

read the FAQ

if you still have questions send them to mailto:licensing@gnu.org

if you don't like any of those answers, talk to a lawyer

be fair, don't steal someone else's work (don't be like Dennis)

both GPL and LGPL are clear: you change it, you publish source

if you don't want to publish source, best bet is don't change it,
just use it the way it is

you may not have the right to change anything (according to your
employer): consult a lawyer

--Brian

On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, James Sutherland wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, David Schwartz wrote:
>

> > > Now, if a module is loaded that registers a set of functions that have
> > > increased functionality compared to the original functions, if that
> > > modules is not based off GPL'd code, must the source code of that module
> > > be released under the GPL?
> >
> > If the answer to this is "yes", then Microsoft should own some rights to
> > every piece of software that uses the Windows API.
>
> In fact, since you call the Windows API by linking against Windows
> libraries (kernel32.dll etc), Microsoft have as much right to dictate the
> licensing of Windows apps as the FSF has to require apps linked against
> GPLed code to be GPLed. (IMO, neither has any such right; of course, given
> the spate of recent laws we've seen, I wouldn't put any faith in a legal
> system to reach the "right" decision...)
>
> In this particular case - just communicating with GPLed code - the answer
> is no, you are not required to impose GPL restrictions on your users, you
> can use a free license instead (or a proprietary one, if you really
> want...)
>

> James.
>
> -

Brian F. G. Bidulock