SubjectRe: Off-Topic (or maybe on-topic)
Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, David Weinehall wrote:
> > > PS. Leningrad is the old historical name of the modern St. Petersberg but
> > > we "old-timers" do still call it Leningrad, it seems more appropriate than
> > > all those "modern" name-changes... ;)
> >
> > You're VERY wrong here. St. Petersburg was the name before the Soviet
> > Union was formed and Russia marched into the Baltics. When the takeover
> > was made, the city was renamed Leningrad (after V.I. Lenin). When the
> > Soviet Union finally fell to pieces and the Baltics retained their freedom,
> > St. Petersburg retained its old name, which it got (if I'm not all wrong)
> > from Peter the Great.

Speaking about Baltics, when St. Petersburg was original St. Petersburg,
Baltics were in Russia. It was renamed Leningrad at the (approximately)
same time Baltics were freed first time and Soviet Union was form, if you like
:).
SU matched back into Baltics later.

By the way St. Petersburg is not _formally_ after Peter the Great.
Peter the Great is not Saint.

And yes, my Mom who who was born there still calls it Leningrad (or Piter, but
not
St. Petersburg). And so am I.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:45    [W:0.149 / U:0.176 seconds]