SubjectRe: Off-Topic (or maybe on-topic)
On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, David Weinehall wrote:
> > PS. Leningrad is the old historical name of the modern St. Petersberg but
> > we "old-timers" do still call it Leningrad, it seems more appropriate than
> > all those "modern" name-changes... ;)
>
> You're VERY wrong here. St. Petersburg was the name before the Soviet
> Union was formed and Russia marched into the Baltics. When the takeover
> was made, the city was renamed Leningrad (after V.I. Lenin). When the
> Soviet Union finally fell to pieces and the Baltics retained their freedom,
> St. Petersburg retained its old name, which it got (if I'm not all wrong)
> from Peter the Great.

Hi David!

I should have put a smiley there shouldn't I? :) Don't you think I must be
well aware of the origins of names of former soviet cities if I spent 20
(or almost 21) years of life there....

Regards,
Tigran

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:43    [W:0.096 / U:1.528 seconds]