    SubjectRe: Possible critical VIA vt82c686a chip bug (private question)
    Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@suse.cz> writes:

    > > > Actually if I don't reprogram the timer (and just ignore the value for
    > > > example), the work-around code keeps being called again and again very
    > > > often (between 1x/minute to 100x/second) after the first failure, even
    > > > when the system is idle.
    > > >
    > > > When reprogramming, next failure happens only after stressing the system
    > > > again.
    > > >
    > > > So it's not just a race, the impact of the failure on the chip is
    > > > permanent and stays till it's reprogrammed.
    > >
    > > Are you sure there is not an error in the way the
    > > chipset is programmed ?
    >
    > Which part of the chipset you mean? The PIT (programmable interrupt
    > timer)? That one is standard since XT times. The rest of the ISA bridge?
    > Maybe, but that's mostly BIOS work and shouldn't impact the PIT
    > under sane conditions.

    What is strange is that a number of persons seem to be hit by this
    problem... And if VIA didn't corrected it it's probably because
    they are not aware of it...

    I think that if such problem occured under windows
    (thinking to the windows user base), VIA would be already in touch.

    --
    -- Yoann http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~yoann/
    Tiniest "mesures unities?"