SubjectRe: syslog() blocks on glibc 2.1.3 with kernel 2.2.x

> Ulrich Drepper <drepper@redhat.com> writes:
>
> > If anything has to be changed it's (as suggested) the configuration
> > or even the implementation of syslogd. Make it robust.
>
> OK, but my current syslogd only listens to /dev/log as a SOCK_DGRAM.
> If I wanted reliable syslogging, it would be listening on it as a
> SOCK_STREAM. Maybe I care more about performance and backwards
> compatibility than reliable syslogging. But whatever my reasons, my
> connection to syslogd is already unreliable and therefore *should not
> block*.
>
> (Could a syslogd listen on /dev/log both as SOCK_DGRAM and as
> SOCK_STREAM? If so, then your philosophy implies that glibc should be
> trying SOCK_STREAM *first*, falling back to SOCK_DGRAM for historical
> compatibility. Either way, when it uses datagrams, it should never
> block, period.)

The reason for this is that DGRAM is faster the STREAM. And with syslogd
being on a fast, secure network I can understand the design filosofie
behind this.

I'll have a look at syslog, and see if I can hack out the reverse lookups.

> - Pat

Igmar

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:45    [W:0.093 / U:0.076 seconds]